Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dungeons and Dragons Weekend

  I have a friend that Emma introduced me to through one of Olivia’s friends at school.  His name is Chris Newton and we seem to have a lot in common.  Emma said when she first met him that she was shocked to find out that he was into everything that I was and then some.  Of course I do not make my own home brewed beer or dedicate me free time to preparing for the Renaissance Festival.  After meeting, he got me started in all sorts of hair brained schemes and of course I am more than happy to try anything.  :)

  The fist one was picking up free broken big screen rear projection TVs and fixing them up.  We thought we would be able to sell them for some extra cache… that is until we discovered that you could get a new 54” rear projection TV for around $200 since the technology has made them worthless.  So I did get a new (new to me) 54” Mitsubishi TV out of my efforts.  They are a little difficult to just drop off in a dumpster or have the garbage man pick them up on his way through the neighborhood so they are not exactly free.  I have to pay about $35 for the land fill to take the ones I don't want.

  The next scheme has a bit more merit.  We are building CNC router mills from free printer parts we get off of craigslist.  Again, not completely free since it costs money to dispose of the stuff you don't want, but we are hoping to work out the bugs and make an affordable desktop version that will help up to recoup our expenses.  The project is temporarily on hold until I can get the golf carts out of my garage and find my tables saw and work bench again.  We would like to get the CNC mills going before the next renaissance fair so that we can sell some the the stuff we make.  Chris has a great idea for making one that we can engrave mug blanks with custom designs.  I will post some images on our projects later.

  For Tessa and Tasha’s birthday party, one of Chris’s friends came up from San Antonio.  Johnny was talking about getting together to do a dungeons and dragons gaming weekend.  Having heard about D&D and never experiencing it, I began to ask questions and soon found myself invited to participate.  I had to do a lot of reading on how the create characters and what the basic rules were.  I also had to put together a character and a background for that character.  I came up with a character named Darrien Lockwood who was a blacksmith that found himself in a strange land after falling overboard when the ship encountered a strange mist.  I ended up in a town called Port a-Lucine in Ravenloft.  It took me about a month to come up with that story and I hope it is enough to go on.  I tried to give my character traits that I might have so that it will be easier to portray my character in game.  I am originally from England around the 1500s.  I am not sure how people talked back then so I may do my worst Scottish accent and try to pass that off.  I guess we get extra points for playing with an accent.  When all else fails, go Scottish.

  I don't know how excited Emma is about the whole thing.  She probably figures that it will pass.  I figure it would be fun to see what an actual D&D game is really like.  More of a social experiment you could say.

0 insights: