Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chicken Tractor

So the other day Emma is talking about wanting to get some chickens and build a chicken tractor? So my first thought is... chickens driving tractors? She showed me it was just a mobile chicken coop that you can move around your yard as the chickens eat all the grass and bugs in that spot. Sounded pretty straight forward. So I mocked up some plans in Sketchup and away we go.

ChickenTractor

So here is part of the build process and the final product. I had some left over roofing from when I replaced my shed roof the other day so it looks pretty rough. I figured the chickens wouldnt care. It took about 2 days to build and about 200 gallons of sweat. I worked out on the driveway and the temp was around 98F both days. The first day I stopped because I under estimated the heat and how much water I needed to be drinking. I ended the day with a splitting headache and completely exhausted. The second day I drank about 5 gallons of water and did much better. The heat really saps you strength and if I were to do it again, I would do it in the family room when it is nice and cool. :) I really need to get a better cooling solution for the garage.

IMG_4209 IMG_4210 IMG_4214 IMG_4215 IMG_4216

Some pics with the kids and their new chickens.

IMG_4212 IMG_4213 IMG_4217 IMG_4218 IMG_4219 IMG_4220 IMG_4221 IMG_4222

1 insights:

Pals Place said...

That's a way cool chicken coop. That's fun you got chickens.